[FOM] independence from ZFC

David Fernandez Breton djfernan at umich.edu
Fri Oct 6 12:37:03 EDT 2017

Dear Paul,

For the independence of Kurepa trees (I assume you mean omega_1-Kurepa
trees) you need an inaccessible, and for aleph_2 having the tree property
you need a weakly compact. I'm not sure if these assumptions are optimal,
but they are certainly the most natural ones. If you're not too picky,
maybe the easiest is to just assume that there is a measurable cardinal
(which in my view is entirely reasonable), which is not extremely hard to
state, even though it is a bit of an overkill (measurable is stronger than
weakly compact, which in turn is stronger than inaccessible).

    David

*****
David Fernández-Bretón
Post-doc Assistant Professor
Department of Mathematics, University of Michigan
4060 East Hall (530 Church St.) , Ann Arbor MI 48109-1043
(734) 936-9971
djfernan at umich.edu
www-personal.umich.edu/~djfernan