[FOM] predicativism and functional analysis

Bas Spitters spitters at cs.ru.nl
Wed Feb 22 05:08:42 EST 2006

Dear Nik,

In this context you might be interested in the work by Feng Ye[1] and more
generally in constructive mathematics where such separability assumptions are
standard practice. In his PhD-thesis he shows that (almost) all of Bishop's
work on constructive analysis can be formalized in PRA(!).
Like Bishop, he treats: metric spaces, complex analysis, integration and
normed linear spaces (including dual spaces).

[1]Ye, Feng,  Strict Constructivism and the Philosophy of Mathematics, January
2000, Princeton University

Also, Ulrich Kohlenbach has shown that PRA is usually sufficient for
(classical) functional analysis. He uses this for his impressive work on
proof mining. Kohlenbach manages to `mine' classical proofs for computational
information (effective bounds) that the experts in the field usually can not
find themselves.
See his forthcoming book:
 Proof Interpretations and the Computational Content of Proofs
http://www.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de/~kohlenbach/newcourse.ps.gz

for more information.

Thus it seems that in fact a much weaker system then the one you have in mind
would suffice.(?)

Bas Spitters
Research Group Foundations/ Institute for Computing and Information Sciences
Radboud University Nijmegen www.cs.ru.nl/~spitters/