FOM: reoly to Neil Tennant

John Mayberry J.P.Mayberry at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Mar 12 05:01:59 EST 1999

I entirely agree with Neil Tennant, and I should have made it clear
that my claim that "formal mathematical logic is part of set theory"
applies only to *classical* logic. In fact, it seems to me that it is a
mistake to place great importance on completeness in non-classical
logics, if only because there is often no uncontroversial conception of
what a "model" is in such logics - intuitionistic logic is a case in
point here. These non-classical logics of of considerable interest on
their own, and in some cases (intuitionistic logic, for example) are of
direct relevance to FoM. In these logics, even the soundness of
proposed logical axioms and rules can be a matter of controversy
(Markov's Principle, for example).

John Mayberry
School of Mathematics
University of Bristol