FOM: Pratt on imperatives

Ben Abraham ben at cpw.math.columbia.edu
Tue Feb 10 17:04:20 EST 1998

On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, John Mayberry wrote:

> 	Vaughn Pratt has called attention to the important fact that
> not all sentences are used to convey facts. His example is instructive,
> and illustrates his point nicely.
>
> If I say "Now construct the perpendicular to AC at B to intersect EF at
> G", I have surely spoken meaningfully, yet where is the truth in what I
> have said?

hate to say the obvious ... but doesn't it say something about the
relationship between AC and EF, in euclidean space for example
there exist B and EF (EF perpendicular to AC) such that the construction
cannot be made, of course there are other statements which are always
statements which are always true, but doesn't that say something also?