FOM: Pratt on imperatives

John Mayberry J.P.Mayberry at bristol.ac.uk
Sun Feb 8 08:05:58 EST 1998

	Vaughn Pratt has called attention to the important fact that
not all sentences are used to convey facts. His example is instructive,
and illustrates his point nicely.

If I say "Now construct the perpendicular to AC at B to intersect EF at
G", I have surely spoken meaningfully, yet where is the truth in what I
have said?

This is a point well made. But it never occurred to me to deny that
there are sentences that are used for other purposes than conveying
facts. There are interrogatives as well as imperatives, and they do not
admit of being pronounced true either. But if *no* declarative sentence
can express a truth, I cannot see what the meaning of such  sentences
might be. And if declarative sentences don't have meanings, where does
that leave imperatives and interrogatives?
	Suppose I try to carry out the command in Pratt's example by
drawing a line L. Then I might say

The line L is perpendicular to the line AC at B and intersects EF at G.

Now if *no* sentence of that form *can* be said to be true, whatever
could the original command have *meant*?
	When I said that if there is no such thing as speaking truly
then there is no such thing as speaking meaningfully, I thought I was
pointing out the obvious, not putting forward some subtle point in
theoretical semantics.
John Mayberry
J.P.Mayberry at bristol.ac.uk