Weak weak Koenig and covering spaces

Alberto Marcone alberto.marcone at uniud.it
Thu May 13 10:34:42 EDT 2021

Il 12/05/2021 06:08, Timothy Y. Chow ha scritto:
> On Mon, 10 May 2021, I wrote:
>> The reason I ask is that I was recently refreshing my memory about
>> some of those results, and it seems that some version of the Vitali
>> covering lemma is typically used when lifting a map to a covering
>> space.  So maybe the weak weak Koenig lemma is needed?
>
> I looked more carefully and found that in Munkres's textbook
> "Topology," the key lemma seems to be something he calls the "Lebesgue
> number lemma":
>
> Lemma.  Let A be an open covering of a compact metric space.  Then
> there exists delta > 0 such that every subset of X with diameter less
> than delta is contained in some element of A.
>
> Is this Lemma provable in RCA_0?
>
> Tim

The spaces satisfying the conclusion of the Lemma are called "Lebesgue
spaces" in the paper "Lebesgue numbers and Atsuji spaces in subsystems
of second-order arithmetic" by Giusto and myself (Arch. Math. Logic
(1998) 37: 343–362). In that paper we studied the strength of the lemma,
which depends on what we mean by "compact":

  * RCA_0 proves that every Heine-Borel compact space (every countable
    open cover has a finite subcover) is Lebesgue;
  * WKL_0 is equivalent to the statement that every compact space (there
    exists a uniform sequence witnessing totally boundedness) is Lebesgue.

That old paper studies several other implications, including the
property of being Atsuji (every continuous function with domain X is
uniformly continuous), which is equivalent to being Lebesgue. A couple
of questions were left open, and as far as I know are still so.

Best wishes,

Alberto

--
Alberto Marcone                                 alberto.marcone at uniud.it
Dipartimento di Scienze Matematiche,

Il presente messaggio è indirizzato esclusivamente ai destinatari. Tutte
le informazioni contenute, compresi eventuali allegati, sono
confidenziali ai sensi del Regolamento (UE) 2016/679 e del D. Lgs.
196/2003. Pertanto ne sono vietati l'inoltro, la divulgazione e la
messa a disposizione in qualunque forma o modo, in mancanza di
preventiva autorizzazione del mittente. Qualora il messaggio Le fosse
pervenuto per errore, La invitiamo cortesemente ad eliminarlo in modo
definitivo dando immediato riscontro.

This message is exclusively addressed to the recipients. All the
information contained in this message, including any attachments, is
confidential in compliance with Regulation (UE) 2016/679 and Legislative
Decree 196/2003. Therefore, forwarding, disclosing and making the above-
mentioned information available without prior authorization from the
sender is forbidden in any form or manner. If you have received this
message in error, we kindly invite you to delete it permanently and to
notify the sender.