Clarification of Skepticism

Wolfgang Windsteiger Wolfgang.Windsteiger at risc.jku.at
Wed Mar 3 03:56:18 EST 2021

Dear colleagues,

my advisor Bruno Buchberger uses to call it the "hot phase" vs the "cool
phase" in mathematics.

The hot phase phase is where you use your imagination, draw weird
sketches, use your intuition, draw analogies from other known areas,
maybe even led by desires, come up with some conjectures, etc. etc. I
think these are Harvey's "major intellectual JUMPS".

The cool phase is later when you have to strictly prove the things that
emerged during the hot phase. These proofs should not be led by desires,
probably keep imagination and intuition at a minimum. They should
strictly follow the rules of logic in order not to miss corner cases,
neglect side conditions, etc. etc. the usual minor or major flaws in
mathematical proofs that all of us know. I think these are Harvey's
"minor intellectual JUMPS".

Technology as such can help in both phases, probably, but the kind of
technology for the two phases might be quite diverse. I see the
important role of proof technology (automated/interactive) that was
defended by some writers earlier mostly in the cool phase. And there it
might be a useful tool even for those that do the hot phase with pencil
and paper.

Ciao,
WW.

--
Assoc.Univ.-Prof. DI Dr. Wolfgang Windsteiger
RISC Institute / JKU Linz