[FOM] Artin-Schreier for Q, without choice?

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Sat Jan 4 14:36:22 EST 2020

In ZF, one cannot prove that the algebraic closure of Q (the rationals) is
unique.  In fact, Lauchli has constructed an algebraic closure of Q which
has no real-closed subfield.

But now suppose we just want to build *an* algebraic closure L of Q with
all the properties we know and love, and don't care that there might exist
"exotic" algebraic closures of Q that are not isomorphic to L.  Since N
(the natural numbers) is given to us with a well ordering, it is
straightforward to construct L without needing to invoke AC.

What about the Artin-Schreier theorem?  It seems straightforward to
construct (a particular version of) the real algebraic numbers, but what
about proving that they form a real-closed field?  Glancing at a proof of
Artin-Schreier, I instinctively feel that AC is not needed for the
specific example of Q, but in light of Lauchli's result, I am worried that
I am missing some subtle point.  Also, in the absence of AC, do we need to
be cautious about the precise statement of any of the usual properties of
real-closed fields---such as those listed on Wikipedia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_closed_field

Tim