[FOM] The boundary of objective mathematics

Monroe Eskew meskew at math.uci.edu
Fri Mar 13 15:16:28 EDT 2009

Analysts seem to take many infinitary statements as meaningful,
without regard to their potential consequences for number theory.  And
set theory has found many statements in real analysis to be
independent of ZFC.

Further, it is rare to run across a modern mathematician in any area
who (1) does not do logic, and (2) has doubts about the meaningfulness
of well-formed statements.  But that may just be a skewed impression
from my limited experience.