[FOM] Correction on:Who was the first to accept undefinable individuals in mathematics?

William Tait williamtait at mac.com
Fri Mar 13 13:35:12 EDT 2009

My reference to Bolzano and Cauchy in the message below (from March
11) isn't really sound (although the main point, that definability is
relative to a language, is). The Cauchy sequence defining a zero of
the continuous real-valued function f defined on [a,b] with
f(a)<0<f(b) is  defined (by a nested interval construction) in terms
of f. So in that sense, the zero is defined in terms of  f.

A better example is from Cantor's original paper on the non-
denumerability of the reals. He concluded that there is a
transcendental number between a and b (when a<b) and made a point of
the fact that this result is significant even if it does not yield a
definition of such a transcendental. The transcendental can in fact be
defined in terms of an enumeration of all the algebraic numbers
between a and b; but in Cantor's time, before Sturm's Theorem, no such
enumeration could be defined.

Bill Tait