WinC-IBM Research and Software Group Workshop
Held at NYU on October 12, 2007
The morning session of this event targeted undergraduate students.
We sought to enable them to become part of a larger CS community by
encouraging them to write articles and books, by becoming DB2 certified,
and by understanding the role of the student ambassador.
Topics addressed in the workshop included:
- Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA)
- DB2, pureXML, Web Services and Web 2.0
- Using DB2 at an Investment Bank
- Lunch and Talk with Brenda Dietrich -
IBM Fellow and Director of the Mathematical Sciences Department
at the IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center.
The afternoon was dedicated to graduate students.
We sought to enable graduate students by investigating
how to get ideas for research topics that are suitable
for Masters projects (or possibly part of a Ph.D.)
and how those topics could be of interest to IBM
or to IBM customers. Specific topics included:
- Data Management
- Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD)
- Approximation Algorithms for Unique Games
- Research topics for Service Science