Downloading and Installing the Publius Server
Publius Server Software Installation
Once you have successfully installed the Publius server you
will be able to host files published by Publius.
Warning: Publius is an experimental system
and should not be installed on critical or sensitive
- Read the Publius Software "Terms and Conditions" and
download the server software from the
software download page. Only download the software if you
agree to the "Terms and Conditions" listed on the download page.
- Copy the file onto your server so that it can be
executed from as a CGI script.
- Create a directory on your system that will be used
for the storage of Publius documents. This directory
must be readable, writeable and searchable by the
Publius server script.
- Bring the script into your favorite editor. If the
path to perl on line 1 is incorrect change it to
the correct one.
- Go to line 31. Replace the phrase "Publius Directory"
with the FULL path to the directory created in step 3.
For example, if the path of the step 3 directory is
/home/publius then line 31 will look like this -
- Go to line 34. The variable declared on this line
allows you to limit the number of Publius files
that will be stored on your server. The default
number is 1000. The maximum size of a Publius file is 100K
This means that Publius can store 10 files per megabyte.
A file limit of 1000 means you need to set aside
100 megabytes of disk space. If you have set aside more
you can raise this limit. For example, if you have set
aside 200 megabytes of disk space for Publius you can
raise this value to 2000. If you do not wish to limit
the number of files stored, the value can be made negative.
For 200 megabytes of disk space the line 24 will look like this -
- Save the file to disk and make sure the file's permissions
are set so that it can be executed as a CGI script.
- If the directory created in step 3 is viewable via a
WWW browser then place an empty "index.html" file inside the directory.
- Test the script by entering the scripts CGI URL into your WWW browser.
If "No Publius Directory Specified" appears you need to redo step 5.
If NOTHING appears in your WWW browser (blank browser
screen) you can assume the script was installed correctly.
- The Publius server requires Libwww-Perl. This may not be included with your Perl distribution so you may need to install it.
- Please read the Publius Server FAQ for other information about other installation options
including disk partitions and CGI wrappers
- If you would like to host a Publius server during the trial please
e-mail your URL to the Publius Project (email@example.com). Your server should be connected to the Internet 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. Please read the Publius Server FAQ for more information.