Upgrading Publius Proxy 1.1 to 1.2
Publius Proxy 1.1 to 1.2 Upgrade - Unix version
Warning: Publius is an experimental system
and should not be installed on critical or sensitive
- If you have previously installed Publius Proxy 1.1 and wish to
upgrade to 1.2 you just need to replace the proxy.pl file located in the
- Download the Publius Proxy 1.1 to 1.2 upgrade from the software download area.
The file should be saved under the name "proxy.pl".
Only download the file if you agree with the "Terms and Conditions" stated
at the top of the download page.
- Before upgrading the proxy make sure to stop the proxy that is currently
running on your computer. Do this by issuing the Unix "kill" command with the
appropriate process id.
- In the publius_proxy directory rename the proxy.pl file to proxy.11 (you
can delete the proxy.11 file once the new proxy is working). Copy the newly
downloaded proxy.pl file into the publius_proxy directory.
- The Publius proxy program will retrieve non-Publius URLs as well as
Publius URLs. If you do not want the proxy to retrieve
non-Publius URLs change line 58 of the proxy.pl file to
NOTE: "YES" is the default option - By default non-Publius
URLs will be retrieved.
- Execute the proxy by typing "./proxy.pl". The proxy program should
tell you the port number it is using and the number of hosts it read
from the hostTable.txt file. You can keep the Publius proxy running
even after you log out by executing the following command -
"nohup ./proxy.pl &" at the command shell. You will need to
execute the nohup command if you wish to host a Publius proxy
that others can use even after you log out.
- To configure your browser to use the proxy follow these instructions
- To learn how to use Publius visit the Using Publius page.