[SMT-LIB] check-sat-assuming - Was: Re: Draft of SMT-LIB 2.5: request for feedback

David R. Cok dcok at grammatech.com
Wed Oct 1 10:33:08 EDT 2014

I concur with the following points made by other commenters, and would
revise my proposal accordingly.

- I proposed a check-sat-assuming mode in effect after a
check-sat-assuming command. In fact, there is already essentially a
check-sat mode in effect after a (check-sat) command: certain commands
are allowed in that mode, and the mode is disabled once an
assertion-set-changing command is issued.
- Consequently, we might as well just use (check-sat) with additional
arguments, instead of adding (check-sat-assuming...). The behavior is
the same as before with respect to other commands, and model inspection
commands, including get-unsat-assumptions, are allowed up to an
assertion-set-changing command. Of course, if (check-sat) has no
arguments, (get-unsat-assumptions) will necessarily return an empty
list. The only difference now is the implicit pop that occurs if
assumptions need to be removed from the context once the first
assertion-set-changing command is received.

- I'd prefer not to add a new (assume...) command to accumulate
assumptions prior to a (check-sat) command, but I can't claim enough
experience with this facility to have a firm opinion. Already, to be
used in (check-sat), an assumption (a.k.a. assertion) has to be defined
as a constant function symbol, so it seems not a problem to list those
explicitly in the check-sat command.

David