[SMT-LIB] New logic for SMTLIBv2 - Separation Logic

David Cok dcok at grammatech.com
Mon May 26 08:46:51 EDT 2014

Cesare,

On 5/26/2014 12:53 AM, Tinelli, Cesare wrote:
> David,
>
> It is exciting to see that a new community of separation logic solvers is forming and that the SMT-COMP organizers are willing to have a demonstration division for such solvers at SMT-COMP'14.
>
> Before we see the details of the proposal by the SL community of an SMT-LIB theory modeling separation logic, I would recommend that SMT-COMP organizers clearly distinguish this new demonstration division from the rest of SMT-COMP and in fact even call it something else, like SL-COMP, say.
Will do.
> The reason is that is not clear at the moment that the "QF_S" logic you mention below could be defined a sub-logic of the underlying (classical, first-order) SMT-LIB logic. If that is not possible, we would not be able to incorporate separation logic in the SMT-LIB standard. Hence, it could be confusing to have a separation logic division at SMT-COMP which is a competition of SMT-LIB-compliant solvers.
I welcome more discussion on this point, as I am not an expert in SL
logics. However, although the SL  theory is expressible in the SMT-LIB
concrete syntax, I don't believe as it is formulated, it is a sub-logic
of the underlying SMT-LIB logic. Perhaps it can be reformulated as such
a sub-logic.

But even if not, there is sufficient cross-fertilization that I would
like to see close ties between classic SMT-LIB and any SL logics. For
example, SMT solvers that handle SL logic might well want to be extended
to also support other logics already present in SMT-LIB. Having the
SMT-LIB benchmarks and the results of other solvers available would be a
significant benefit. Incorporating the same basic abstract and concrete
syntax, with just a few extensions for SL that are non-classic-SMTLIB
would help with the goal of unifying the discussion and research work of
two now somewhat separate research communities.
> Also, I would not recommend using QF_S for the logic since we already had plans to use S for the theory of sequences, which is currently under discussion and I hope will be finalized soon.
We'll use QF_S for this trial round, to avoid having to settle the issue
while participants are finalizing benchmarks and solvers. When there is
a decision on naming and how SL is to be related to the current SMTLIB,
we can change the benchmarks. This very question is why I posed the
discussion question about naming of theories and logics.

> As for the process of proposing a new SMT-LIB theory, here are the steps that have been followed in the past:
>
> 1) A person or a group has a first round of discussions with the SMT-LIB coordinators
>     to see if there exist basic conditions for a new SMT-LIB theory and related logics.
>     These conditions include
>     a) The proposed theory can be in fact modeled as an SMT-LIB theory (i.e., as a set
>        of many-sorted structures over a first order signature, as specified in the
>        SMT-LIB standard.)
>     b) There are enough people interested in using this theory.
>     c) There are, or there could be, enough benchmarks based on this theory.
>
> 2) A work group is formed consisting of people interested in the new theory, including
>     solver developers, users, and one or more of the SMT-LIB organizers (the role of the
>     latter is mostly to make sure that the proposed theory and the logic definition are
>     SMT-LIB compliant).
>
> 4) The work group discusses the extension in depth and prepares a detailed proposal.
>
> 5) The proposal is presented to the SMT-LIB community via this discussion list.
>
> 6) Feedback from the community is used to improve the final version of the proposal.
>
> 7) The proposed extension is officially incorporated into the standard and documented on the SMT-LIB site.
>
> So the next step in this instance is for the SMT-LIB coordinators to have a round of emails with Mihaela, and whoever else she would like to include, to see if the conditions to move to Step 2 are satisfied.
I'll leave that to Mihaela to answer.