[SMT-LIB] New logic for SMTLIBv2 - Separation Logic

Martin Brain martin.brain at cs.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 22 10:01:33 EDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-05-22 at 05:10 -0700, cok at frontiernet.net wrote:

> Resending compilations of previous notes, this time to smt-lib:
>
> From David Cok:
>
> The SMTCOMP organizers have received a request to run, as part of
> SMTCOMP 2014, a division of solvers that solve separation logic problems
> expressed in SMTLIBv2, with a logic that incorporates a new theory. We
> are tentatively expecting 5 solvers to participate. There is a draft
> theory and logic in development;

Is it available online?  I've checked the archive of the groups and the
git repository.  The link on
https://github.com/mihasighi/smtcomp14-sl/wiki currently gives a 404
error.

>  for now, the logic is named QF_S,
> though we may decide that a different name is appropriate in the future.
> Together with Mihaela Sighireanu (copied here, and her email below) and the interested
> community, we are in the process of curating a set of benchmarks for
> this division. As far as SMTCOMP is concerned, this is a demonstration
> division; we will measure and report results as best we can, given the
> provisional and experimental nature of the benchmarks, theory, logic,
> and their incorporation into StarExec. A goal is to have this be a
> full-fledged part of SMTCOMP in future years.
>
> I have two questions for the smt-lib community. To separate the
> discussion, I'll put the second in a separate email.
>
> First question: I expect there should be some process for proposing,
> vetting, commenting, revising new theories and logics. It is a sign of
> success that such new contributions arise from new quarters, perhaps
> even previously unknown to SC members. The SL-SMTLIB community that is
> working on this would appreciate some advice (and encouragement, I'm
> sure) about how to fold their work into SMT-LIB as a whole. How should
> we proceed beyond proposals?

For floating-point, the procedure was as follows:

1. A draft of the theory was presented at SMT'14

2. A working group of interested parties was formed and discussed
various drafts until a concensus was achieved.

3. A paper giving the semantics of the theory has been written and is
currently under submission to FMCAD.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin