[SMT-LIB] An alternative to SMT-COMP?

Pascal Fontaine Pascal.Fontaine at inria.fr
Mon Dec 31 04:10:53 EST 2012

Dear all,

sorry for the long delay.

Having a festive event like SMT-COMP (with T-shirts and live screen) is
a nice thing: it brings together people around the screen and generate
discussions.  Attesting participation can be good when applying for
projects: it gives a hint to reviewers that the software reaches the
level of maturity required for the competition.  Participating requires
some work (just like releasing a new stable version), and that is why we
did not participate last year.  This work is unavoidable, and necessary
from time to time.  SMT-COMP is not to blame for the fact we did not
participate, but rather ourselves (I apologize).  Indeed, having more
time between successive SMT-COMPs, would be more convenient.

I think that the lost of interest in the SMT-COMP may be attributed to
predictable results.  Leaving more time between competitions may help.
Also, running the competitions only on the categories for which solver
developers claim improvement would allow to concentrate on the
categories where some changes would occur; but in practice I admit this
would be difficult to do.  We need more and better benchmarks (and
gathering new and good benchmarks is a very difficult task): this would
definitely increase the suspense.  The numerous practical applications
(for example in my direct environment: Rodin, TLAPS) of SMT could
provide many new benchmarks; perhaps people are afraid to fill the
SMT-LIB with formulas that are redundant or trivial.  Also
non-disclosure agreements may be a problem.

A final point about the competition, I think that there may be a way to
present the results such that everybody gets some credit, and such that
it does not put too much pressure on the everlasting winner.  E.g.,
maybe highlight for each solver the number of files it was first to
solve.  Just presenting a total order per category is not very
satisfactory.  It would be nice also to highlight the solvers that solve
the highest number of benchmarks, regardless of the categories.

Now about the SMT-EVAL: it is a good thing for users to have a view of
the state of the art.  And SMT-COMP only partly helps. The wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satisfiability_Modulo_Theories already
gives some summary on the capabilities of the various SMT solvers, and
enriching this with efficiency information would be valuable.  For
SMT-EVAL, it would be possible to check the solvers against all formulas
in the SMT-LIB.  It would be nice if the SMT-EVAL committee cooperates
with SMT developers, i.e. advertise the "snapshot" date, and interact
with developers if needed, e.g. in case of strange results or
difficulties to compile.  Cesare highlighted the fact that it would be
good for the SMT-EVAL committee not to contain any developer, for
independence; my feeling is that one SMT developer in the committee
would perhaps ease interaction between the committee and the developers.

Best Regards, and Happy New Year,

   Pascal