[SMT-LIB] Multiarity XOR, IFF

Aaron Stump stump at mail.cse.wustl.edu
Thu Nov 8 10:45:24 EST 2007

Dear John,

That is true, but notice that Gries & Scheider 1993 includes two
equivalence operators, one parsed conjunctionally and the other
associatively (section 2.2).  Also, I think it is fair to say that their
proposal for developing propositional logic by heavily using associative
equivalence has not been widely adopted.  The simple reason is probably
that, while extremely clever, their development is not as intuitive as
one based on natural deduction (just look at the proofs of the lemmas in
chapter 3).

Anyhow, I agree with Sava (and several others) that the conjunctional
reading of "iff" is more intuitive and should be adopted in the SMT-LIB
format.

Aaron