What is a ?non-constructive proof??

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Thu Feb 20 15:48:06 EST 2020

It’s not non-constructive. It is a very fast-growing function, but everything is completely constructive or can be made so. Thus, if you define a non-fast-growing function such as

f(a,b) = the middle base-10-digit (adding one leading 0 if necessary) of the number of steps to reduce “a expressed in pure base b” to 0 by the Goodstein procedure “increase base then subtract 1”

then you are guaranteed to find a solution to f(a,b)=c, given a and b, constructively but slowly.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone