[FOM] Fact and opinion in F.O.M.

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Sat Dec 28 11:37:17 EST 2019

Although what you said is correct, there is enough consensus about arithmetic that no one (who is speaking as a mathematician) is going to declare Euclid’s assertion that there are arbitrarily large prime numbers to be a matter of opinion.

Even for more complicated statements like the Dirichlet theorem (all variables are natural numbers)

For all m, n > 0 there exists a prime p such that  either p divides m and n or n divides p-m

there is no one who seriously claims this is a matter of opinion (by which I mean a statement on which people may disagree about its truth value, not a statement on which people may disagree whether it has been established). There is no conceivable state of affairs where professional mathematicians will insist that that statement is false (a computable bound exists, the proof is constructive).

As for tautologies, non-complete systems can have them. One can make a good case that all theorems of Peano Arithmetic (and the Euclid and Dirichlet theorems can be proven in PA) are (or can be seen to be equivalent to) logical truths, the difficulties for logicism arise when one needs an axiom of infinity.

The interesting question to me is why we don’t expect there to be permanent disagreements about statements of arithmetic, as we do about statements like AC or CH.  One can be of the opinion that the Riemann Hypothesis (in its arithmetical form that a certain computation never halts) is true, or that it is false, but we certainly don’t think it will ever occur that one school of mathematicians will come to believe that it has been proven true and another that has been proven false. Unlike with CH, nobody expects that among the (consistent) axioms that will ever be seriously proposed, there are some that prove RH and some that prove not-RH.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone