[FOM] 820: Sugared ZFC Formalization/2

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 20 10:18:20 EDT 2018

I apparently wasn't very clear, because I wasn't claiming that 1/0 is the one issue that dooms the approach, but rather the most obvious such issue, if one insists on formalising "ordinary mathematical thinking". Formalising mathematics is difficult enough without trying to duplicate "ordinary mathematical thinking".

I'm aware of many of the approaches to the problem of definedness, all of which involve some compromise, such as complicated formal systems, longer proofs, quirky properties. But even if this issue is fully addressed, there is the next one and the one after that, et cetera.

Another is the huge ambiguity found in mathematical notation and mathematical texts. The link below is to a proof I happen to be looking at just now:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4mgvh2td2fmy9x/Bak-Newman-CA.pdf?dl=0

(From Complex Analysis by Bak and Newman.) It's completely ordinary material and yet there's nothing resembling a formal proof here. Mathematical notation in its full glory will require disambiguation and I don't think the result will ever be beautiful.

A third problem might be our tendency to sweep aside foundational issues. So when we say "every finite group of odd order is solvable", this includes a group given by three measurable cardinals, which possibly isn't what we want. One could say that quantification over groups always means "up to isomorphism", but what that should mean it isn't clear for "every finite group is a subset of the natural numbers", and anyway, isomorphism classes are proper classes, so the foundational issues just take another form. And let's not mention category theory.

What I am trying to say is that once you adopt a formal system, you will be working with code. It may be a fairly decent form of code, and people have already done remarkable things using a variety of proof assistants. It is possible to transform ordinary mathematical thinking into this sort of code. But then you will be working at the level of code.

Maybe it's appropriate to quote Heyting: "The intuitionistic mathematician... uses language, both natural and formalised, only for communicating thoughts, i.e., to get others or himself to follow his own mathematical ideas. Such a linguistic accompaniment is not a representation of mathematics; still less is it mathematics itself."

Larry Paulson