[FOM] arithmetic without product

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Mon Jul 23 09:57:34 EDT 2018

I don’t know where Sylvester’s argument was published but it is practically trivial to see the following:

If j is even, n is expressible as the sum of j consecutive integers iff n mod j = j/2, and for sufficiently large n all the integers in the sum are positive

If j is odd, n is expressible as the sum of j consecutive integers iff n mod j = 0, and for sufficiently large n all the integers in the sum are positive.

Therefore, if we want an integer expressible in at least k different ways as a sum of positive integers, (2k-1)(2k-3)(2k-5)...(5)(3)(1) will suffice (it has the right divisibility properties and is easily seen to be large enough).

For k>=4, we can omit the first factor (2k-1) because the product will  also, being odd, be expressible as the sum of two consecutive positive integers: 5*3*1 = 1+2+3+4+5 = 4+5+6 =7+8 = 15 etc.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone