[FOM] The gold standard and FLT

Franck Slama franck.slama.pro at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 03:48:04 EST 2018

Hi,

Arnon, you might be biased because of your interest towards the foundations
of maths, that we certainly all share
here in this mailing list. However, mathematicians have been doing
mathematics (and quite evolved mathematics!)
long before set theory (even in its naive formed) started to be defined.
Before the end of the 19th century, no one thought
it was important to define a single system, with well defined axioms, and
to prove the entirety of all mathematical
theorems in this unique system. I (and I think all of us here) agree that
this is what we effectively need if we want
to have a single and consistent corpus of mathematics and not many
separated areas (algebra, differential calculus,
geometry, and so on) that would be incompatible together.

However, this level of precision is inaccessible to most mathematicians,
who often do not know (or care) much about
the logical system in which they are building their proofs. For them, such
a logical consistent system is taken for
granted, and they do not wish to be involved in this at all. Although this
is rather sad because formal logic is a fascinating
area, I am forced to admit that if they would have to go down to this
level, they would never have been able to make their
contributions in their fields, which are no less beautiful. I strongly
believe no one would have defined and showed important
properties about elliptic curves and Galois cohomology by systematically
going down to the axioms of ZFC.

If mathematicians do not want to be involved in this activity of
formalisation of mathematics, its because instead of working
with a precise set of axiom, they work with one big axiom : that it's
possible to define such a consistent system that allows
them to work with sets, functions, derivatives, integrals, and everything
else that they need every day. It's their big axiom.
Are they crazy to believe in this? I don't think so. During the 19th
century, mathematicians have found some paradoxes,
and they've understood that they need to be careful with what manipulate,
especially when they deal with "low level objects".
So, some work on foundations has started to become important, and became an
entire area in itself. This is our activity.
We need to build such well defined logical systems in which mathematicians
can do their work. And they (the vast majority
of mathematicians), do not really care about what this exact system is.
That's the low level, the assembly language of
mathematics. What they want to do is high level, abstract mathematics. And
our work is to provide them with a consistent
system in which they can use their favourite every day objects. In CS
terms, we're building the compiler of the mathematical
language, down to set theory. Is their a risk to proceed like that (ie, to
let them work outside of a precise formal system)? Yes.
But we should accept this risk, as we must always believe in something.
Whether it is the fact that their exists an appropriate
system or the list of axioms of ZFC does not matter to me. It's the same :
we are forced to believe in something. And by the way,
I'm not at all confident with the list of axioms of ZFC, but that's just my
taste.

Let's be clear : if ZF or ZFC would turn out to be inconsistent, that
wouldn't be the end of mathematics. I would be sure that
it would be possible to defined another system in which everything that has
been done could be "translated". It's even possible
that the inconsistency would come from an unused axiom. After all, there is
an infinity of axioms in ZF due to the presence of
axioms schemas. And all mathematics are necessary expressed using only a
finite amount of axioms. So it's even possible
that an inconsistency in the logical framework could not affect at all the
mathematics that have been built. Of course, until we
build another system (this time a consistent one), all our proofs would
become quite a bit lose, as they would not be chained
to a clear set of axioms, which is the ground level of mathematics. Now,
does the 10th floor is going to collapse into the 9th ?
That's not sure, and very unlikely. Everything can be seen as "proven" in a
broken system because of the conservative
Principe of Explosion ("from falsehood follows anything"), which means that
we can no longer distinguish between the "true" and
the "false" because there is no such notion in a broken system. However,
this principle does not tell us that everything is wrong.
It does not tell us that all airplanes are going to suddenly crash because
everything is false. It only tells us that we can't reason
any more about what is proven and what is not, as everything is considered
proven de facto. Airplanes have been flying for decades,
and there is no reason that would crash suddenly. It's most certainly only
a problem in the "assembly language" that must
(and I believe, can) be fixed.

I would like to be clear that, like you, I like when proofs can be written
with great level of detail. I even love when they are so precise
that computers programs can verify them, thus telling us if they are
effectively valid proofs in the considered logical system. The reason
why it's even better is that a human can get the verification wrong, when a
computer can't. However, I am not sure that this style of
mathematics is what mathematicians want to do. It might be because we do
not have the right tools yet.
If you give any current proof assistant (like Coq, based on type theory and
not set theory) to the mathematicians, 95% would stop playing
after a couple of hours and get back to "their real work". I'm also sadden
by this situation because I would love to see all mathematics
formalised into a logical system (and I would prefer it to be based on type
or category theory rather than set theory, but that's my bias
towards computer science), that could be checked by a computer program.
Quite honesty, that's my dream. But stopping mathematicians
of all fields to work (or claiming that what they do is not really proven
because it does not meet *our* standards) until we manage to get such a
system that would be usable by them is not a great idea. My point is that
we need them to continue be creative in their fields, because we
need what they produce. And anyway, they are manipulating quite high level
objects, and they do not want to intensionally break the system.
So there is very low risk that they will get a false proof because of an
inconsistency at the set-theoretic level. In the meantime, let's work on
building some great formal systems that they could perhaps use in a couple
of decades, to build and check all the the mathematical knowledge
with a great level of detail.

Franck