[FOM] Book appearing: Formalization without Foundationalism: Model Theory and the Philosophy of Mathematical Practice

John Baldwin jbaldwin at uic.edu
Wed Jan 10 10:02:52 EST 2018

I thank Harvey for his thoughtful response.  I would like to clarify my
views on one of his points.
I want to think a bit about long proofs in ZFC but am in the santiago
airport and communication will be erratic.

Harvey wrote:
Obviously, applied model theorists did not have any incentive, nor did
they believe in, the matter of bridging the gap between Godel
phenomena and "real" mathematics. The assumption is simply that that
gap is very wide and totally necessary.

In reply, let me first emphasize the importance of the work of Godel,
Turing etc in clarifying the otion of
decidability.  On the one had there is  the active work in applied model
theory  on extending Hilbert 10th problem results
to other fields: e.g. Slapentokh
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=jLnE3bMAAAAJ

On the other, one aspect of my book is the decidability and even finitary
consistency of parts of mathematics; some of this depend on work of Tarski
and Harvey.  In particular an extension of eucidean geometry that validates
the area and circumference formulas of circles, See

http://homepages.math.uic.edu/~jbaldwin/pub/axconIIfinbib.pdf

published

*Philosophia Mathematica, nkx031*

*John*