[FOM] vagueness in mathematics?

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Mar 7 08:44:40 EST 2017

We have now seen two viewpoints on arrays and matrices.

Is this the kind of ambiguity that leads to vagueness in mathematics?
Without the discussion we just had we might never have discovered the
problem.  But the discussion leads us to gain more precise concepts
than we might have had before, at least to the point of understanding
one another if not agreeing on the meanings of words.

Or is this just a termonological issue, unrelated to what we are
discussing?

I'm not sure.  But it is a practical issue, arising in real life;
whereas someone thinking addition behaves differently for numbers
larger than 57 is not.

- hendrik