[FOM] Are the Decidable Theories R.E.?

Saeed Salehi saesal at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 06:53:23 EST 2017

As suggested by ​Noah Schweber only index sets should be considered;
however, unfortunately, this answer is not correct (as is explained below
in *III*).
(*I*) Let us assume that there exists a 1-1 (and onto) correspondence
between all the sentences in the language of arithmetic (say {0,1,*+*,*<*,x})
and all the natural numbers (via a Godel numbering). So, every RE set *W*_
*n* corresponds to an RE set of sentences and vice versa. There exists a
recursive function *n* |--> *n*' such that *W*_{*n*'}={*x* | Pr_L(*z*_1 &
... & *z*_k --> *x*) for some *z*_1,...,*z*_k in *W*_*n*}, where Pr_L is
the provability predicate in (pure first order) logic (so *W*_{*n*'} is the
deductive closure of *W*_*n*). Now, the second question is whether the set
*D*={*n* | *W*_{*n*'} is recursive} is RE or not? The first question is
whether *D**={*n* | *W*_*n* is deductively closed and recursive} is RE or
not?
(*II*) By Rice's Theorem the (index) set *D* is not recursive (since it is
not trivial).
(III) By Proposition 5.18 [on page 85] of Bridges' book (Computability: A
Mathematical Sketchbook (1994) http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9780387941745)
the (index) set *D* cannot be RE since for some  *i*\in *D* and some *j* we
have \varphi_*i* \subset \varphi_*j* but* j* is not in *D*: Put \varphi_*i*
be a recursive function which halts and equals to 0 on *n* if and only if
*n* is (the  Godel number of) a sentence in which x does not appear (it is
a sentence in the language {0,1,*+*,*<*}) and is true in <*N*;0,1,*+*>; and
let \varphi_*j *be a recursive function which halts and equals to 0 on *n*
if and only if *n* is (the Godel number of) a theorem of Peano's
Arithmetic, PA. By Presburger's Theorem *i* is in *D* (since *W*_*i* is the
set of {0,1,*+*,*<*}-sentences true in <*N*;0,1,*+*>) but *j* is not in *D*
(since *W*_*j* is the set of theorems of PA); however, \varphi_*i* is a
subset of \varphi_*j *(since all the true sentences in the language {0,1,*+*
,*<*} are provable in PA).
Thus *D* is not RE (neither is *D**).
(*III*) Unfortunately, the proposed answer by ​Noah Schweber  does not
work:
(i) if *n* is in P then S_P(*n*)=T + {S*k*+S*k*=0 | *k* in *N*} (*n* never
leaves P) but for any *k*' not in the Halting Problem we have T|--S*k*'+S*k*
'=1; so S_P(*n*) is *in*consistent.
(ii) if *n* is not in P then S_P(*n*)=T + {S*k*+S*k*=0 | *k*<*l*} for some
*l* (the stage in which *n* leaves P); but if some small *k*' is not in the
Halting Problem (we may also assume that 0 is not in the Halting Problem)
then T|--S*k*'+S*k*'=1 which makes S_P(*n*) *in*consistent again.
Whence, for cofinitely many *n*'s we have that R_P(*n*) is *in*consistent
(and so decidable?) thus the biconditional "*n*\in P *<==>* R_P(*n*) is
decidable" cannot hold (the co-RE [but non-RE] set P can be neither finite
nor cofinite).
Overall, this can be a good exercise in the computability theory and
mathematical logic course.

--
Saeed Salehi