[FOM] Reference request for category-theoretic presentation of forcing

Christian Espindola christian.espindola at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 18:34:56 EDT 2017

Chapter VI of the book "Sheaves in geometry and logic" by MacLane and
Moerdijk might be what you are looking for. It contains a topos-theoretic
presentation of forcing, more precisely, two toposes of sheaves with the
double-negation topology that show the consistency of ~CH and ~AC: the so
called Cohen topos (a Boolean topos satisfying the axiom of choice where
the continuum hypothesis fails) and a Boolean topos found by Freyd where
the axiom of choice fails.

The relation to the method of forcing becomes clear when considering the
Kripke-Joyal semantics, explained in the same chapter, as well as the
observation that models of ZF can be obtained from Boolean Grothendieck
toposes by mimicking the construction of the cumulative hierarchy. That
said, the mathematical content of these category-theoretic proofs are
essentially the same as the forcing technique via Boolean-valued models,
and any other background that you might need is available in that same book.

Finally, chapter VI also contains a topos-theoretic axiomatization of the
category of sets and the proof of equiconsistency with a weak version of Z.

Best,

Christian