[FOM] Is mathematical realism compatible with classical reasoning?

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Thu Aug 3 00:52:35 EDT 2017

The problem here is in not specifying the language. We are, presumably, talking about applying a "truth predicate" to sentential objects, describable as finite strings in a finite alphabet, which excludes "infinite conjunctions". One can postulate an unproblematic criterion for well-formedness and talk about a "truth predicate" if this criterion looks like the ones we have seen in different logics. But for this to comport with the common sense around the word "truth", we need to either give the linguistic terms semantics, or have an intended mathematical model of the language.

If your language is the language of arithmetic, I can define a truth predicate for you using set theory, after we agree on an informal description of which "arithmetic" we are talking about (integer, rational, real, complex, etc.). But if the language is the language of set theory, you had better tell me what you think "set" means before I will attempt to define a truth predicate for the language.

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone