[FOM] Fwd: Forward of moderated message

John Baldwin jbaldwin at uic.edu
Sat Sep 12 09:45:02 EDT 2015

George,

I think we agree on almost everything. The point is 7; Euclid uses area to
the sides of similar triangles are proportional and Archimedes to
accomodate incommensurables.

Hilbert defines, multiplication and then area.  Thus he has no need of
Archimedes.

One technicality.  Hilbert (in my opinion ) misreads Euclid as requiring
areas of polygons to be preserved only by
literal decompostions.  Hilbert calls the more general notion where you are
allowed to both add and subtract content.

He notes that computing area  in the narrow sense requires Archimedes but
computing content does not.  I think it clear from common notion 3 and 4
that euclid means by area what HIlbert calls content.

--------

Archimedes and Dedekind's axioms are add on's (In Dedekind's case
literally) for Hilbert to make the Euclidean field complete.

I argue that the greeks knew a lot about particular real numbers but no
thought of all them.

See the following papers on my website.

most of the argument is in the first.

 *Axiomatizing Changing Conceptions of the geometric continuum I:
Euclid-Hilbert*  http://homepages.math.uic.edu/~jbaldwin/pub/axconIsub.pdf

http://homepages.math.uic.edu/~jbaldwin/pub/axconIIfin.pdf

http://homepages.math.uic.edu/~jbaldwin/pub/pisub.pdf

John Baldwin