[FOM] Fwd: A request

Mario Carneiro di.gama at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 20:19:16 EDT 2015

If I may add my own interpretation (not being a Core Logician but following
Tennant's explanations):

I think the key here is the difference between the deductive entailment "A
|- B" and the material implication "A => B", which are interchangable in
classical logic (by the deduction theorem) but are quite different in core
logic, from what I can tell. Given a derivation of # under the assumption
A, we are allowed to conclude A => B, that is, if A |- # then |- (A => B).
Thus "if (not P and P) then Q" is derivable, in the form "|- (P /\ ~P) =>
Q". What is *not* derivable is a derivation of Q from the assumption P /\
~P, that is "(P /\ ~P) |- Q" or "P, ~P |- Q". This is what Tennant is
calling EFQ, while others have been looking at the former as a closed-form
EFQ. The former is what is needed to prove the emptyset is a subset of
anything, which is why the proof goes through in core without issue even
though it deals with EFQ-like statements (which are not being judged as
'true' EFQ here).

The part which still confuses me is why one cannot apply modus ponens to
the implication to get true EFQ. For example:

             ___         ___(1)
              ~A           A
                       #
         A         A->B

Here we are taking A and ~A as assumptions, and deriving B, i.e. "A, ~A |-
B" which is EFQ if anything is. How does modus ponens / implies-elimination
interact with the lack of cut?

Mario