[FOM] Second-order logic and neo-logicism

Joseph Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Thu Mar 26 06:30:45 EDT 2015

I'm not claiming my objection is new. I am merely asking the neo-logicists to specify here, in reply to my post, the technical results that I assume they already know about:

1) what is the strongest deductive calculus for SOL that you accept as "logical" and therefore justified as part of the logicist project?

2) how much set theory do you get from this calculus?

A very strong deductive calculus for SOL is "any statement that ZFC proves is a second-order validity with standard semantics is valid". I assume they have something less strong in mind.

As for my statement about Maclane Set Theory, isn't this the same strength as a simple theory of types? Type theory can be developed logically in a less cumbersome way than Russell did.

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone