[FOM] Potential infinity

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 9 12:01:08 EDT 2015

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015, Arnon Avron wrote:
> As I have hinted in my previous posting, for seeing the validity of the
> axioms of PA a potential understanding of the collection of the natural
> numbers suffices.

Can you be more formal about this point?  What I mean is, suppose I asked
you to formalize the argument in your previous posting.  Would it
correspond to one of the standard proofs of the consistency of PA?  Which
one?  Presumably it would not be a ZF-proof, since ZF explicitly assumes
the set of natural numbers as a complete infinity, and you're claiming
that your proof employs no such assumption.

Tim