[FOM] The liar "revenge"?

Ran Lanzet lanzetr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 05:26:38 EDT 2015

Dear Arnon,

I'm glad you raised this point. I share your doubts about the alleged
revenge in the case of the ordinary liar sentence, and will be glad to see a
convincing formulation of the revenge argument. In the meantime, I have a
question regarding variants of the paradox that seem (to me) to be more
bothering -- e.g. Yablo's paradox.

In the case of the original liar, you may be able to say that the
(allegedly) paradoxical sentence-token (call it L) is meaningless, and
perhaps even express this using a sentence-token equiform with L. You may
then be able to say something about L that will convince us that that token
fails to have any meaning, while yours does not.

But consider Yablo's paradox, which can be put as follows:

	S1. For every (natural) k > 1, it is not the case that sentence Sk
expresses a truth.
	S2. For every k > 2, it is not the case that sentence Sk expresses a
truth.
	S1. For every k > 3, it is not the case that sentence Sk expresses a
truth.

Consider any n and assume for contradiction that Sn expresses a truth. Then
none of the sentences Sk with k > n expresses a truth. Hence, none of the
sentences Sk with k > n + 1 expresses a truth. So Sn+1 expresses a truth.
Hence, Sn does not express a truth, contradicting the hypothesis. We
conclude that none of the given sentences expresses a truth. But then, none
of the sentences Sk with, say, k > 17 expresses a truth. So S17 expresses a
truth, a contradiction.

At least on the face of it, this paradox is harder to dismiss than the
original liar. For, if you classify all the sentences Sk as meaningless,
then you seem to be committed to the following:

	S0. For every k > 0, it is not the case that sentence Sk expresses a
truth.

But why should we accept your S0 as true (and thus: as meaningful) any more
than we accept, say, S1?
Do you have a quick way of dispensing with this paradox?

Cheers,
Ran