[FOM] New umbrella? (Freek Wiedijk)

Paul Levy P.B.Levy at cs.bham.ac.uk
Fri Oct 31 17:19:08 EDT 2014

On 31 Oct 2014, at 19:08, fom-request at cs.nyu.edu wrote:

> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:47:24 +0100
> From: Freek Wiedijk <freek at cs.ru.nl>
> To: tchow at alum.mit.edu, Foundations of Mathematics <fom at cs.nyu.edu>
> Subject: Re: [FOM] New umbrella?

> On the other hand Coq is much more expressive for abstract
> mathematics (abstract algebra, category theory, etc.) than
> the HOLs

Dear Freek, there's a considerable literature of papers that mix
category theory and set theory quite seriously.  I recently coauthored
some papers of this kind* so obviously I'm quite keen on the topic,
and I'm slightly baffled by the perception of conflict between the two
subjects.  Some of these papers (not mine) even use large cardinals.

Are you saying there's no suitable proof assistant for formalizing
results like this?  They're much simpler than the Kepler conjecture
and Feit-Thompson.

Paul

*The papers are
Coproducts of monads on Set
Exploring the boundaries of monad tensorability on Set
On final coalgebras of power-set functors and saturated trees
available at my publication page
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~pbl/papers/

--
Paul Blain Levy
School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham