[FOM] HoTT as foundations: a short account

Paul Levy P.B.Levy at cs.bham.ac.uk
Thu Oct 30 02:28:22 EDT 2014

> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 14:44:58 +0100
> From: Freek Wiedijk <freek at cs.ru.nl>

> In this account the category of sets (it's called "Set",
> right?)

"Set" is the category of sets and *functions*.  Here I am talking
about the category (groupoid) of sets and *bijections*.

> seems to have a priviledged position.
> Therefore, I
> think this is too "set theoretic" to be a truely satisfactory
> motivation.
>
> What if I want to work in the category of topological spaces
> ("Top"), shouldn't I have something in the framework that
> ensures that whatever I do is functorial in _that_ category?

Both sentences "every endofunction on the class of sets is functorial
on bijections" and "every endofunction on the class of topological
spaces is functorial on homeomorphisms" are provable in HoTT and
refutable in NBG (or ZF with universes).  I chose the former to give
just one illustrative example for readers with a set-theoretic
background, not to suggest that this is the only difference between
the two systems, which it certainly isn't.

Paul

--
Paul Blain Levy
School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham