[FOM] Eradicating Evil?

Joseph Shipman JoeShipman at aol.com
Tue Oct 28 13:40:11 EDT 2014

Steve,

I'm sorry to see you go, but I'm even sorrier to see you dismiss my contributions to the discussion as having "no informational value". My previous posts, especially the last long one, frame questions in a cordial manner and do not pose extremely difficult "challenges".

Harvey is being provocative, but the core dispute is quite plain to state: whether HoTT is
1) A better foundation than ZFC for an active and valuable area of mathematics, because it is easier to work with and easier to mechanically formalize
2) A better foundation than ZFC for mathematics in general
3) No better than ZFC because it can be modeled within ZFC foundations in a straightforward way, so that a metatheorem can be established which assures that anything HoTT theorists do is also formalizable in ZFC, thus enabling HoTT researchers and set theorists to ignore each other from now on.

I am reacting to what I perceive is the unnecessarily strong claim (2) by asking HoTT researchers a simple question about very standard theorems of "ordinary mathematics", and I am also trying to distinguish between the weaker claim (1) and Harvey's deflationary claim (3) by asking either for HoTT theorists to give an argument that what they do can't be modeled easily in ZFC, or for set theorists to show that it can be so modeled.

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone