[FOM] Formal verification

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 02:33:33 EDT 2014

Dear Freek,

This is, of course, a totally unacceptable ugly piece of disgusting
garbage (smile), according to any current standards of mathematical
practice. But I remember reading that there has been some reasonably
successful work on producing nice output. (I was involved in some
early stage in that). Perhaps FOM readers need to be reminded of some
references for creating nice output?

Incidentally, this is a kind of beautiful example, I think just meaty
enough to be interesting.

CHALLENGE: Use this example to create a new field of *micro proof
theory*, whereby new kinds of subtle quantitative and possibly
qualitative features of actual mathematical proofs are investigated,
those which correspond to important features of actual mathematical
proofs that are immediately recognized as interesting and significant
by those reflecting on actual mathematical practice.

Harvey Friedman