[FOM] formal proofs

David Roberts david.roberts at adelaide.edu.au
Wed Oct 22 19:41:09 EDT 2014

There are *models* of HoTT that could be construed as using ZFC as
foundations: the simplicial sets model, for one. People are working on
a cubical sets version too, in a constructive framework. But these are
merely models of HoTT.

The objects of HoTT are *not* sets, they are homotopy types. Homotopy
types are objects of a large category that is a localisation of the
(large) category of simplicial sets. Simplicial sets are certain
functors Delta^op ---> Set, or equivalently sequences of sets
X_0,X_1,X_2 and a whole collection of maps d_j:X_i --> X_{i-1} and
s_j:X_i --> X_{i+1} satisfying a collection of equations. A
localisation of a category is another category in which certain
morphisms of the first category have been formally inverted to become
isomorphisms, and is the smallest category with this property (all
these are large categories, so by 'smallest' I mean there is a
universal property). It is a theorem that the category of homotopy
types cannot be represented by some category of sets with extra
structure and morphisms respecting that structure. All of these steps
are highly nontrivial mathematics, though HoTT bakes in all this
structure from its axioms.

Notice that ordinary sets are examples of degenerate homotopy types,
and isomorphisms in the category of homotopy types between sets so
described are exactly isomorphisms of sets in the usual sets. So the
category of sets embeds in the category of homotopy types.

The above description is a 'lie to children'. It relates as much to
HoTT as calling ZFC a theory of things with things in them.

Best wishes, and good luck,

David