[FOM] Nelson's proof assistant

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 15 17:02:26 EDT 2014

A couple of people have asked for more details about Nelson's claimed
machine-verified proof of the inconsistency of PA.

Nelson said that he used a proof assistant that he called "qea".  I think
he stated this fact in the (human-readable) outline of his proof that he
posted on his website; however, after he realized his mistake, he withdrew
that outline from his website, and I didn't save a personal copy, so I
can't verify directly what he said in there.  Fortunately, though, we have
the FOM archives:

   http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2011-September/015818.html

I don't know if Nelson ever released qea.  The link to the output of qea
still works as of today; I don't know how much longer that will remain
true, so someone may wish to archive it somewhere more permanent if it
seems to be of interest.

Tim