[FOM] formal proofs /query

Michael Lee Finney michael.finney at metachaos.net
Sun Oct 12 19:55:07 EDT 2014

When I was working on an experimental formal system, I had manually
created and verified several hundred proofs of elementary results in
that system. I wrote a proof verifier, and in spite of several people
manually checking the proofs, the proof verifier found errors in a
half-dozen proofs. Most were trivial and easily fixed, but some
required a complete rework of the proof. This was a small system and
none of the proofs were really difficult. But it is impossible for
people to be always perfect in anything so I believe that, long term,
all proofs must be mechanically verified before they are accepted.

So, even if we haven't seen it yet in major systems and proofs, I can
easily believe that proof verifiers will eventually find significant
errors in major proofs.

Michael Lee Finney