[FOM] Hersh on Flyspeck

Joseph Shipman JoeShipman at aol.com
Sat Oct 11 22:07:35 EDT 2014

I find the situation around the classification of finite simple groups most unsatisfactory. The linked article persuades me of something its author might disagree with: that Hales's project is very important and we need more like it.

Although I am persuaded by the article that the likelihood of the classification theorem being correct is overwhelming, that's not enough. Mathematics, like science, must be reproducible.

-- JS