[FOM] Fwd: Re: consistency of NF?

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Sat Jun 21 02:44:22 EDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: tf at maths.cam.ac.uk
To: Stephen G Simpson <simpson at math.psu.edu>, Foundations of Mathematics <
fom at cs.nyu.edu>
Cc: fom at cs.nyu.edu
Date: 21 Jun 2014 06:29:44 +0100
Subject: Re: [FOM] consistency of NF?
Steve, It's 50-odd pages and i learnt of it only a matter of days ago.
Randall has had a quick look at it and will no doubt reply to this query.
Jamie Gabbay (he is always Jamie, never Murdoch) is a former student of
mine; he has picked up the type theory and NF background - and of course he
knows all the FM stuff from his nominal sets work - so it is in principle
entirely credible that he should find a consistency proof for NF. I am
spending august and september in Boise with Randall and the project is for
me to really understand Randall's proof and - now! - for us both to
understand Jamie's. Watch This Space.

 Murdoch Gabbay (http://arxiv.org/abs/1406.4060) has published a proof