[FOM] The Ideal Mathematician

Walt Read walt.read at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 17:52:58 EST 2014

Libelous? Hardly. It sounds like a description of almost any
specialty. In the last hundred years the growth of science and
technology has pushed the current research boundaries past the point
that the average educated person can participate. Do you think most
physicists could explain to people outside the field why the Unruh
temperature is important? Most specialties in medicine - cardiology,
radiology, surgery - involve subtleties that the typical patient won't
be able o understand - often even when the patient is also a
physician. Opera singers, plumbers and chefs deal with issues that
would be esoteric to most of their consumers. Given the surge of
hostility to rationality and science in culture today, we should
treasure those people who can successfully connect with the larger
public. But to say that, academically, most of us are in our own
little world is hardly libelous.

-Walt