[FOM] Alternative foundations?

meskew at math.uci.edu meskew at math.uci.edu
Fri Feb 21 19:31:09 EST 2014

The claims of Frenkel seem to be much grander than this.  Namely:

(1) Objects other than sets are *necessary.*
(2) Alternative foundations will make set theory no longer *central.*
(3) Set-theoretic structures "constitute but a small island of modern
mathematics."

Almost all the advertisements I have seen for Homotopy Type Theory as an
alternative foundation to ZFC set theory focus on the greater ease or
naturalness of formalization and proof-checking available with HoTT.
While this may be a great virtue, it seems to be only evidence that HoTT
provides a superior foundation for *formal verification* than ZFC, which
was never a goal of ZFC.  But in my opinion, issues of formal coding are
not so central to FOM, which is concerned with the fundamental principles
underlying mathematical truth.

Regarding Frenkel's claim (1), in what sense are the non-set objects of
Category Theory or HoTT "necessary?"  In the same sense that an assumption
is found to be necessary as in Reverse Mathematics or Inner Model Theory?

If Juliette Kennedy is right that all category-theoretic and set-theoretic
approaches are bi-interpretable, this this refutes claims (2) and (3).
The interpretability of HoTT within ZFC (plus some large cardinals) would
mean set theory remains mathematically central, even if some prefer to
work in a different formal system.  And under such an interpretation,
perhaps it would be rather the structures of HoTT that constitute a "small
island" of the universe.