[FOM] Alternative foundations?

David Roberts david.roberts at adelaide.edu.au
Wed Feb 19 17:38:08 EST 2014

Hi Victor,

>So, I wonder, what  is this "effort underway to overhaul the foundations of
math in which set theory is no longer central."

The Univalent Foundations program, in which Voevodsky, Awodey and
Coquand play a central role. See, e.g.

http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Homotopy+Type+Theory+--+Univalent+Foundations+of+Mathematics
http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/homotopy+type+theory (many references at
the bottom of the page)

The objects not in general representable as sets are intensional
types. Some types are (or behave like) sets, but not all of them. The
key part is that equality is not what it usually is in set theory, and
in fact, as I understand it, the substrate of logic is subsumed into
the type theory, rather than sitting behind/under the usual axiomatic
material.

François Dorais has some blog posts discussing what it means to do
"proof relevant" mathematics, which is part of the framework:

http://dorais.org/archives/tag/hott

David