[FOM] question about Mendelson's Intro to Math Logic

Paulo Oliva p.oliva at qmul.ac.uk
Wed Feb 12 06:26:46 EST 2014

Hi Bob

I think you mean replacing it with (not B -> not C) -> (C -> B), the one you wrote (not B -> not C) -> (B -> C) is not valid.

Anyway, here is a sketch of how it should go. Assume

(*) (not B -> not C) -> (C -> B)

and let’s derive A3. If you take C be true (e.g. axiom A1) in (*) one can conclude not not B -> B, i.e. double negation elimination DNE.
Then, in order to derive (not C -> not B) -> (not C -> B) -> C one first assumes not C and given the two premises concludes B and not B,
and hence not not C. By DNE we get C.

We’ve used contraction (used not C twice) but that follows from A2.

Formalising all this just using cut will probably be painful, but it’s clear it can be done since there is
a simple translation from natural deduction to Hilbert style proofs.

--
Paulo Oliva
Royal Society University Research Fellow