[FOM] question about Mendelson's Intro to Math Logic

Arnon Avron aa at tau.ac.il
Wed Feb 12 00:33:50 EST 2014

Hi Bob,

Here is one way to do it (I do not know if the shortest). In what follows
I freely use the implicational fragment of intuitionistic logic
and the deduction theorem.

Lemma 1: not not A-> A
Proof: Start from not not A -> ( not not  not not A ->  not not A).
 Apply the new axiom twice to get not not A -> ( not not A->A).
 Then apply contraction

Lemma 2: A-> not not A
Proof: From Lemma 1 infewr: not  not not A ->  not A. Now
 apply the new axiom.

Lemma 3: (B -> C)->(not B -> not C)
Proof: From Lemma 1 and Lemma 2 it is easy to prove that
  (B -> C)->(not not B -> not not C). Now apply the new axiom.

Now to prove (not C -> C)->C start with not C-> ((not C -> C)->C).
By Lemma 3 one can infer from it: not C-> (not C-> not (not C -> C)).
Applying contraction we get not C->not (not C -> C). A final
application of the new axioms yields (not C -> C)->C.

Cheers

Arnon