[FOM] Certificates are Fully Practical

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 21:38:12 EDT 2013

When I talked about certificates in formalisms for the foundations of
mathematics, I am talking about actual proofs of actual mathematics, given
by actual mathematicians - of course expanded so that they become fully
rigorous.

Because of the extensive work on "proof assistants", we know from
experience (although I an many other people were convinced much earlier)
that this expansion process to fully rigorous proofs of actual mathematical
theorems by actual mathematicians is well under control and can be and has
been carried out in reality.

Granted, this has not been done for really big sophisticated proofs yet,
such as FLT and classification of finite simple groups. But there is now
little doubt that the certificates have completely feasible size, and will
be actually constructed, say by 2150.

This is in sharp contrast to non first order "foundations for mathematics"
without certificates. Before they become any sort of "foundations for
mathematics" one must pass to first order associates, where there are
certificates.

I view the work from proof assistants as strengthening the already
overwhelming case for the role of certificates, as proof assistants have
shown that they are entirely practical. There is even good data on the
actual size of the relevant certificates.

Harvey Friedman