[FOM] What is Second-Order ZFC

Alan Weir Alan.Weir at glasgow.ac.uk
Fri Sep 13 17:12:48 EDT 2013

One assumption which seems to be accepted by all so far, in the debate on 'What is second-order ZFC', is that a derivation, a 'certificate', must be finite. Indeed one usually requires that there be an algorithm for deciding whether a given formal structure is a proof, and if so of what sentence.

But of course in the formal languages and systems which are our idealisations of informal mathematical practice, all but a tiny fragment of the constructions contain more parts than the estimated number of neutrinos in the observable universe. Perhaps more telling: we know from speed-up considerations (in reverse, as it were) that no matter what formal system we work with, there will be provable formulae which are  of 'feasible' length- their tokens can be grasped by us or at least by machines we can in some decent sense comprehend- but whose shortest proof will be unfeasibly long. This will be true even for polynomially decidable logic, a logic which is surely far too restricted to act as a formalisation of actual mathematical practice.

Given all this, and assuming (as I think we should) that we nonetheless must idealise beyond the patchy fragment of our formal systems which we can feasibly digest, what is the rationale for idealising to systems, such as first-order logic, in which the theorems are recursively enumerable  but the anti-theorems are not, and in which the derivations are of lengths vastly beyond anything we can grasp? Why is omega-logic not a candidate for an idealisation of our informal practice; or more powerful infinitary logics? And if they are, does the fact that (full, non-Henkin) 2nd order logic is not complete tell against it any more than the fact that first-order logic is not decidable or propositional  logic is not polynomial-time decidable (if P is not NP)?

I suggest there is no non-ad hoc limit on the power of the abstract idealisations which are formal systems, if they are to count as legitimate idealisations of informal proof.

Alan Weir
Roinn na Feallsanachd/Philosophy
Sgoil nan Daonnachdan/School of Humanities
Oilthigh Ghlaschu/University of Glasgow
GLASGOW G12 8QQ