[FOM] First Order Logic

Cris Perdue cris at perdues.com
Wed Sep 4 15:00:52 EDT 2013

Joe,

Could you help clarify a bit further your criteria for a suitable HOL?

In particular, you are looking for something more than "simply many-sorted
FOL in disguise". Are you looking for something more than "FOL plus a
useful fraction of set theory in disguise"? It has seemed to me that a more
common criticism of HOL has been that it "sneaks in set theory" rather than
"sneaking in sorts" (though some versions of HOL do include concepts much
like sorts).

FOL + ZFC can prove more than the HOL systems I have heard of except
perhaps Girard's System F or extensions of it as used in the HOL-Omega
theorem prover (as in http://www.trustworthytools.com/holw/holw-lncs5674.pdf
).

Aside from that, I think proponents of HOL logics often consider them more
powerful than FOL in practical ways, by providing a language closer than
FOL to the language they use intuitively through variables that range over
sets, relations, and functions; and by reducing some of the implicit
reasoning about existence that is implied by FOL plus ZFC. But I am not
sure this is of interest to you.

Regards,
Cris